Sunday, April 7, 2013

Jurassic Park 3D Review

Jurassic Park is one of my all time favorite movies for many reasons. I don't really need to go too in depth about why since it is 20 years old and most people reading this will have already seen the movie. If you haven't seen this movie, then what you need to do is stop reading this review right now and go find a copy and watch it. Everyone as a kid loved dinosaurs and even though as an adult you don't always proclaim that love from the rooftops no one ever actually loses that love. And we all know that we have the dream that one day we can see a dinosaur. If a time machine were invented, that's the first thing that we all would do. Go back and visit the dinosaurs. What made Michael Crichton a literary genius is that he brought everyone's dreams to life with his Jurassic Park books. Now granted he's definitely not the only one to do so, but if you think dinosaur book, Jurassic Park will definitely be the first book you think of. Now the movies don't exactly follow the books too well, especially when you get to the second one where really the only similarity between the two is that they both are titled The Lost World. And Jurassic Park III compared to the book? Well, there wasn't a third book, so that's that. But none of that matters in this case. Jurassic Park doesn't lose any points for not following the book too well because it brought these real life dinosaurs that we all love to the big screen in quite the epic way.

It's almost hard to believe that the movie is now 20 years old, especially when you realize how amazing the special effects in this movie are. I mean the 80's weren't exactly known for their great effects and even when you get to the early 90's where Jurassic Park belongs oftentimes the effects aren't that great, but Jurassic Park was way ahead of it's time. The CGI dinosaurs in this movie are so good that they are better than a lot of the CGI creatures in movies made in the last couple years, so that there is the definition of standing the test of time. The dinosaurs look real. Add all that to the fact that you have Steven Spielberg helming the movie with John Williams on the music and you have near perfection in Jurassic Park. Being that I was four years old when the movie came out, I never experienced it in theaters, so there was no way that I was going to miss this chance to see it in theaters.

Now if you know me at all or have read my reviews, you'll know that I am not a fan of 3D. I mean I don't hate it. I just normally don't see the point of it because most of the movies I have seen in 3D I have enjoyed equally as much in 2D, so why pay the extra two or three dollars per ticket to see it in 3D? Plus a lot of the movies that are in 3D don't put hardly any effort into it and so you get gypped because you payed extra money for something worthless. And the recent 3D re-releases just never seemed to have a point in the first place. Phantom Menace in 3D? Not that interested. Titanic in 3D? Why? So guys can see Kate Winslet naked in 3D? Or see people fall out of the ship in 3D? Not interested at all. But Jurassic Park was much different. Dinosaurs in 3D? Heck yeah!!! But not just that, dinosaurs chasing people, scaring people, and eating people in 3D? Sign me up! With all the dinosaur jump scenes, that just seems like what 3D is made for.

How did it turn out for me? Oh my freaking awesome. Much better than I even thought. The 3D was actually super impressive. I've never seen a movie that did it so well and to think that this was a post-converted 3D movie was even more impressive. Forget about the dinosaurs for a second, even the first half of the movie where it's just the humans walking around talking to each, setting up for the dinosaur scenes later in the movie, was impressive. If every movie spent this much time and effort making the 3D look this good, I might actually enjoy 3D movies. From now on, this is the comparison. If your 3D isn't as good as Jurassic Park's 3D, you didn't do your job right. Now enter dinosaurs. This is where things got awesome and actually kinda scary. The 3D was so good that it felt like you were in Jurassic Park, like the actual park in the movie and when everything goes helter-skelter and the T-Rexes and Velociraptors start chasing you, it's terrifying. I was scared for my life because I was really being chased by a real life dinosaur. I wasn't going to make it out of the theater. They were going to eat me. When the kids were hiding from the raptors in the end, I was hiding with them and when there was a jump scene in the movie it got me. Every time. Even when the car is falling out of the tree and the guy and kid are frantically climbing down to avoid getting smashed, I was climbing down with them and scared for my life because I was actually about to be smashed by a really heavy jeep. Yikes! Ok, am I being a little over dramatic? Probably. But the moral of the story is that it really fantastic.

Then it was over. I made it out alive. I did not get eaten by a dinosaur or smashed by a jeep. But upon exiting the theater I came to the realization that I just had one of the best theatrical experiences of my life. No joke. Jurassic Park 3D is definitely a 10 out of 10 experience. So if you are a Jurassic Park fan like myself, go. And go as soon as you can because this opportunity will only be around for a couple of weeks. I don't often recommend movies as must sees, but Jurassic Park in 3D is definitely a must see. Don't miss it!

No comments:

Post a Comment