Thursday, August 15, 2013

The Internship Review

Before you read this review, I would suggest to you to go grab a Snickers. Snickers are the perfect blend of caramel, nuts, and nougat covered in chocolaty goodness. Snickers promises satisfaction and thus when you are hungry, it is the perfect treat. Also, as you read my upcoming review, I want you to be in the right mindset because hopefully you will read this review and enjoy it, thus prompting you to read more and share this blog with all of your friends. You aren't you when you are hungry and I don't want you to risk the chance of thinking this blog is bad just because you were hungry and thus unreasonable. So why wait? Grab a snickers!

Advertising. It's a tricky business and one that I don't plan on going into. Mainly advertisements bother me and I avoid them like the plague when possible. I'd much rather watch a TV show online because I don't have to worry about commercials and I'd hate to be the one trying to come up with advertisements. But nonetheless they are important and in a day where people are really good at avoiding advertisements, people creating those advertisements have to be even trickier and one way they have been successful is by product placement. A company will pay a movie a huge sum of money to include their product or company logo in the movie. This can get very distracting at times, but it is also very helpful for the company. How many people do you think went to IHOP after watching Man of Steel because they battled in the IHOP. Nowadays when I watch movies I expect product placement to be present and I watch out for it. If it is not done well, it is distracting and the movie loses kudos in my book. But if it is done well, the movie gains kudos. Why do I mention this? Well, the current movie in review, The Internship, is the product placement king and it's proud of it. Because of that I actually avoided the movie and thought it was going to be awful. When it came to my local dollar theater, I decided to give it a shot. Turns out that was a very well spent dollar.

Yes, The Internship is one huge advertisement for Google. I don't know how much money Google spent to get this done, but it doesn't really matter because they are close to taking over the world anyways. However, this is not just an advertisement for Google. There is tons of product placements from all kinds of companies, schools, and even movies and music if that counts as product placement. I originally skipped over this movie because I thought all this would be a huge distraction. Turns out it is not a distraction at all. In fact the movie proudly stuffs in as much product placement as possible and all of that actually makes the movie quite hilarious. There was even a segment where they were playing quiditch for a while as part of one of their challenges. I don't know what strings had to be pulled to make that happen, but it was quite awesome.

The Internship stars Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn as two friends who just have no luck in the job department. After their latest job falls through, Vince Vaughn's character gets this brilliant idea for them to try to make it as an intern for Google. I don't really know why someone would ever think of this randomly, but remembering that this is one big advertisement for Google, it had to happen somehow, so as you watch the movie you just role with it. When they get the internship roles, they are put into a team that has to work together in several different tasks, with the winning team getting full time jobs at Google. Predictable plot? Sure. But this wasn't meant as anything deep and unpredictable, so that didn't really bother me. The movie was a comedy and as long as comedies are actually funny and intelligent, I'm not too bothered by a predictable plot. And I found myself laughing the entire movie, so it definitely worked out.

What really made this movie was the cast. I'm not always a fan of Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson, but in this one both of them were great. The movie was very light-hearted and both of them just looked like they were having tons of fun. And when your main actors look like they were having fun with the movie, it is easy for me as the viewer to have fun with it as well. But it wasn't just them, the leaders at Google did a great job. Will Ferrell was in the movie for a short segment and he was super funny. The girl Owen Wilson's character goes after was really pretty and did a good job in connecting with Owen Wilson. And finally, the team that Wilson and Vaughn were on had great chemistry. They believable butted heads when they needed to and believable got along great as a team when they needed to. I found myself rooting for them to succeed and really invested, which is always great. The movie also did a great job of being emotional and dramatic when it needed to be, which is also a plus because the best comedies in my opinion are ones that are more than just a comedy.

On a personal preference there were one too many sexual references for my liking and a whole scene in a strip club that just went on and on and if I were to watch this movie again in my own house, I would just skip that whole chapter because it is pretty useless. That aside, I went into this movie expecting nothing and walked out entertained and pleased. And that is why I go see movies that I don't think I will like because sometimes I am surprised. Now being that I saw this movie came out over two months ago, the chances of finding this at your local theater might be a bit slim, but when this movie comes to RedBox, Netlflix, or Amazon Prime, I would definitely recommend you give it a shot. Speaking of which, did you know that Amazon Prime is actually significantly cheaper than Netflix and has just as good of a selection? If you are a student, you can get it for just $40 a year, which averages out to less than $4 a month, which is half the price as Netflix. If you are not a student, the $80 a year is still a cheaper average than Netflix. Also with Amazon Prime, you get free two day shipping on lots of items found on Amazon.com, so sign up today! And by the way, my official grade of The Internship is an 8 out of 10.

2 comments: