Friday, October 11, 2013

Gravity Review

Ever have a dream when you were young of going into space as an astronaut? Float around with zero gravity, walk on the moon, fly in a spaceship? Yes? So did I. I've always been fascinated with space. No, I never realistically thought about chasing that dream, but I still think going into space would be super cool. However, the movie Gravity gives a much different perspective on space by showing how menacing and dark it actually is. After watching the movie, I am perfectly content with staying down here on Earth.

After watching the trailers, you can get a basic premise of the movie, but you also wonder how they can turn this idea into a 90-minute movie. That's actually one thing I appreciate about the trailer. It doesn't give away anything. Because of that, I won't give away anything either. I'll just say that it is a space survival movie. It makes space super scary. One of the greatest things is that it felt super realistic. When explosions happened, you heard no sound. Things just silently blew up. There is no sound in space. I really liked that. The only sound you heard was the sound coming from the speaker Sandra Bullock was listening to or other sounds she would hear from her perspective. Brilliant. Space is also an unforgiving, cruel monster. If something goes terribly wrong, there is little to no hope for survival. That's something that this movie also portrayed very well. I was on the edge of my seat and terrified the entire movie. And it threw a few twists and turns that made it so the movie wasn't that predictable. That I also loved.

Outside a brilliant and compelling story, there are two other things that made this movie a masterpiece. The big one is the visuals. Yes, I would say this movie is one that you really need to see in theaters to get the full experience; but not just that. You need to see it in the theaters in 3D. I normally do not advocate 3D. For the most part, I think it is a waste of time and money. I normally prefer to save money and see things in 2D. Most of the time I believe that I enjoy it just the same. So me saying that you need to see this in 3D should be saying something. It is easily one of the best 3D movies that I have ever seen. That combined with the stunning visuals made me feel like I was actually floating around in outer space with Sandra Bullock and George Clooney. So awesome! Speaking of Bullock and Clooney, they were the other thing that I wanted to mention. I thought they were both great in the movie. They were really the only two actors in the movie as any other character that appeared were just voices. As the movie went on they did such a good job that I felt like I had this deep emotional attachment to their characters and I love it when that happens.

Yes, I have seen a lot of movies this year, but this one surpasses all of them up to this point. It was a visual masterpiece. The 3D was top notch, making it a must see in theaters. The story was fantastic and had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. And on top of that, the acting in the movie by Sandra Bullock and George Clooney made the story even that much better. I came out of the movie completely blown away and since I really can't find too many faults with the movie, I am going to do something that I don't do that often when judging movies. I am giving Gravity a 10 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment