Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Richard Jewell Review

I know everyone is looking forward to hearing my detailed thoughts on a certain blockbuster that was released this month, but before I get to that, there's another movie that warrants an important discussion and it's a movie that, based on box office returns, might be one that few of you have even heard of. Part of the reason why is that this is a movie that almost came out of nowhere with very little advertising or promotion until shortly before its release. It's a movie that also could've been thrown into the festival circuit and gained buzz that way, but Warner Bros. decided it was a better idea to push "Motherless Brooklyn" and "The Goldfinch" instead. Whoops! It's a good thing that Warner Bros. has a little movie called "Joker" or they would be completely empty-handed when it comes to awards season due to their failure in campaigning the correct movie early on. This movie is, of course, "Richard Jewell." And if you have heard of it, chances are you decided not to see it because on the weekend beginning December 13, this sold the least amount of tickets ever for a Clint Eastwood movie that opened in wide release, as it opened to just $4.7 million. Information on that is courtesy of The-Numbers.com and film critic Dan Murrell from the YouTube channel Screen Junkies.

That statistic right there is a rather frustrating one to me because this is a movie that deserves to be seen. I actually saw it on a Wednesday night, the night before "The Rise of Skywalker," and I was literally the only one in that screening. When the credits rolled, I started pouting while saying, "Why did no one see this movie?!?!" Granted, I saw the movie on a Wednesday night when no one goes to the theaters. But still, that combined with the movie's box office totals was upsetting. Obviously no one heard my vocal cries during those credits, but given that I have a platform here, I decided that I am going to use that platform to convince at least one person to go see this because the message of this movie is far more important than laser sword fights, video game trappings, freaky humanoid cats or anything else you'll see in the theaters this Christmas. This tells the true story of one Richard Jewell, a security guard who saved multiple lives back in 1996 in Atlanta, Georgia, when he discovered a pipe bomb and got as many people out of the area before it exploded. Two people ended up dying and 111 were injured. But both of those numbers would've been a lot higher if it weren't for the heroics of Richard Jewell. Yet due to some terrible reporting, the man was villainized.

In going into this movie, I went in with two different hats, my movie critic hat and my journalism hat. Journalism is what I studied in school and got my degree in, so I obviously have a soft spot there and I did hear about all the controversies surrounding the movie when it came to media portrayal from Mr. Eastwood. So I wasn't ready to simply give this one a pass based on the quality of the film alone. I wanted this to be fair to all angles of this story, not just from Richard Jewell's side. And I had at least one fellow journalism friend who wasn't happy based on things she had heard about this film, so I did my research on the real life situation that is portrayed in this film before going in so I would be ready to analyze everything that happened. Then I did a more in depth dive afterwards. Now I could've gone without doing all of this and simply focused on the film alone, which is the path that many critics most likely took. But I didn't want to take that route. This is a movie that at least needed to get certain things right with this story or else it will become just another one of these Hollywood productions that unfairly blasts the evil media for not doing their job. And we have way too much of that going around these days, especially with the common outcries of "Fake news!"

Yes, in terms of the quality of the film itself, Clint Eastwood hits all the right notes. In fact, when it comes to films that Clint Eastwood has directed this decade, this might be his best one. I say “might” because there’s a few that I haven’t seen. Out of the ones I have seen, I had very mixed feelings about “American Sniper.” “Sully” was a solid movie, but nothing that blew my socks off and nothing that I’ve had a strong desire to return to. “The Mule” from last year is a movie that I have a hard time remembering what my opinion was, which is problematic. “The 15:17 to Paris” is one I never got around to, but I hear I didn’t miss anything. And “Hereafter,” “J. Edgar” and “Jersey Boys” I have also not seen, but reviews suggest I also might not be missing anything. So yeah, in analyzing all of these movies, “Richard Jewell” is definitely one that stands out as a movie that is both gripping, emotional and important. The movie has a solid setup that introduces us to this innocent and somewhat naive security guard named Richard Jewell. He is by no means a perfect angel and sometimes he has a mind of his own in terms of doing what he is instructed to do, but his heart is in the right place, making him very likable.

This setup is what makes this movie all the more tragic. Richard Jewell is not someone who deserved to be villainized in the way that he was. Initially when he finds the bomb and saves all those people, it’s a celebratory moment. Up to this point in his life, despite his shortcomings, all he’s really wanted from life is to help protect people. He’s had a large amount of respect for authority figures and he wants nothing more than to be a successful police officer, security guard, or some other type of government official who keeps people safe. And in this moment of time, all of his work and effort has paid off in a moment where he’s become a hero. And he gets to bask in that glory for a brief moment until suddenly the rug is pulled right out from under him as he becomes the subject of an intense investigation from the FBI, which gets leaked to the press, resulting in nationwide scrutiny. Now in principle, the idea of the FBI investigating him is certainly not a bad thing. It was good of them to look into all angles. And if the media got word that he was being investigated as a possible suspect, it’s also not a bad thing for them to report on what they’re hearing. That’s their job. But it’s to the extent to which both go to, without thinking about consequences, that's damaging.

Now let’s step outside the realm of this movie and talk about this for a second. Both when it comes to the FBI and to the media, there’s a responsibility to seek out truth. I don’t know all the real life details about what happened in this situation. I don’t know if the real life people were as despicable as Jon Hamm and Olivia Wilde were in the movie. But I have seen many situations where officers or agents were so narrowed in on one subject that they became blinded to the possibility that they might be wrong. If evidence does come out that someone else might the real suspect, instead of accepting that evidence and doing their job properly, their pride gets in the way and they’re more focused on their reputation than the actual truth. With journalism, I have seen countless times where a journalist is more focused on getting the inside scoop and the flashy headline than reporting truth. In both of these situations, the government official and the journalist aren’t stopping to think about the consequences of their actions. They just have the selfish desire of making themselves look good without realizing that they might be ruining lives if what they end up doing ends up being incorrect, which is exactly what happened here with Richard Jewell and its heartbreaking.

Again, I don’t know all the details of what happened here in real life. Perhaps the FBI agents and the journalists had their hearts in the right place. I don’t know. What I do know is that, in hindsight, it is 100 percent confirmed that Richard Jewell did not plant that bomb. It was good of the FBI to look into him as a possible suspect, but from what I have read about the actual case, they went way overboard in their investigation of him, most likely based solely on stereotypes of who he was. This should’ve been a secret, private investigation that should’ve never got out to the public and should’ve lasted rather quickly once they realized that there was no way that Richard Jewell could’ve actually planted the bomb. To the main controversy of the movie, it’s certainly problematic that Clint Eastwood portrayed this female reporter as having slept with the FBI agent in order to get this information when there is no evidence of that happening. And my biggest problem with this movie is that Olivia Wilde as the journalist did not feel real. She was extremely exaggerated. But regardless of how this all happened, the fact of that matter is that the Atlanta Journal-Constitution got word awfully quick about this FBI investigation and immediately jumped on this story.

The sad part of all of this is how quickly this spiraled out of control and it is obvious to me that a lot of the people reporting on this story cared more about their story than they did about the facts. Even if you argue that the initial report of the FBI investigating Richard Jewell was warranted, a lot of the latter reports and stories simply were not true. And this is a situation where the journalists hid behind the wall of “My sources have said that...” in order to defer the guilt of them simply not reporting the truth. Because of this, Richard Jewell later went and sued a lot of these news stations and, while he technically didn’t “win,” most of them chose to settle rather than go through a court battle. Thus with all this, I think this whole situation provides a great lesson into how journalists need to remember that they have a lot of power and influence into how people choose to think. And as Spider-Man would tell you, that power comes with a great responsibility that they need to make sure they are reporting truth because carelessness can lead to ruined lives. And this is one of those situations where we can watch the movie or read about the actual events and apply these principles into our everyday lives, especially in the day of social media where information runs rampant.

What brought this all together were the acting performances in the movie, specifically with Paul Walter Hauser as Richard Jewel, Sam Rockwell as his lawyer and Kathy Bates as his mother. All three of them gave Oscar-worthy performances that sold the emotion of this story. Whether or not they get those nominations is a different story, given how poorly this movie performed at the box office. But the three of them combine to elevate this story into something that left me with a rather emotional ride home, combining both the difficulties of what they went through with the triumphs at the end. John Hamm is also sufficiently despicable as the lead FBI agent to provide some excellent contrast. And I do have to give some credit to Olivia Wilde even though her character was written in an overly exaggerated way. She did the best with what they gave her. It wasn’t her fault that her character wasn’t written in a believable way. All in all, I would label this movie is one that is a must see at some point. Obviously it’s not one to take the whole family to during the holiday season. But I think the message of this movie is one that is extremely applicable to our day and can thus go a long way to help us improving society. My hats off to Mr. Eastwood. My grade is a 9/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment